Pages

Tuesday, June 2, 2020

How well did the Nephites know the geography of Egypt? Alma 36:28

How well did the Nephites know the geography of Egypt? Alma 36:28

My best guess? Really not that well.

I bet there were maps kept in the brass plates, and I bet that Nephi did teach some basic geography to his children, but I seriously doubt it's anything close to the kind of map access we have today.

I still remember the moment when I realized that I likely know more about and have read more in the scriptures than many, perhaps even most, of my ancestors. That I, with my modern day access to knowledge and information, am totally privileged in a way almost unthinkable by my ancestors. That they were basically clinging to crumbs of truth repeated orally throughout generations, and without access to the scriptures in their mother tongue, the bible itself was further removed from their grasp. It is strange to think about.

No comments:

Post a Comment