Pages

Saturday, September 21, 2019

How do you "hide up treasures unto the Lord"? Helaman 13:19

How do you "hide up treasures unto the Lord"? Helaman 13:19

Samuel the Lamanite is prophesying to the people.

19 For I will, saith the Lord, that they shall hide up their atreasures unto me; and cursed be they who hide not up their treasures unto me; for none hideth up their treasures unto me save it be the righteous; and he that hideth not up his treasures unto me, cursed is he, and also the treasure, and none shall redeem it because of the curse of the land.

I am certain that this does not only refer to physical treasures like money and wealth, but also time, talents, our minds, and especially our hearts. I mean, honestly the Lord doesn't care much about the money and wealth; he doesn't need it. What he wants, what he really values, is us. Because he loves us.

Answer:
So how do we hide up our treasures to the Lord? I suppose that is a personal question. When you deposit money into a bank, or invest it somewhere, you're making a deliberate effort. You watch that money. You know what's happening to it, or at least, you should. You also don't go around proclaiming what you're doing, because that's a. weird and b. an invitation for thieves. I suppose it might be similar with our spiritual gifts and other things that we offer back to the Lord, even including not proclaiming what we're doing. In fact, that might be why there's that operative word "hide" here. We're not to go around boasting about how we are trying to serve God. We're to do it, but without expecting recognition or praise.

No comments:

Post a Comment