Pages

Saturday, December 22, 2018

Why was it important for Nephi to talk to the Spirit "as a man speaketh" in 1 Nephi 11:11? Is it possible for me to speak to him this way, and if so, how?

Why was it important for Nephi to talk to the Spirit "as a man speaketh" in 1 Nephi 11:11? Is it possible for me to speak to him this way, and if so, how?

It was important for Nephi to learn something about the nature of God. I think it might have been a surprise for him to learn that the godhead his made of three separate personages.

It's definitely possible for me to "cry unto God with my heart." (see Hosea 7:14) This is called prayer.

It's definitely possible for God to speak to me. I don't feel very confident that he will speak to me in this exact way, "as a man speaketh." I think that would be incredible, but it's very probably not going to happen.

I take a lot of comfort in the words of Alma, where he talks about people (like me) whose witness of God comes from the scriptures rather than from miraculous visitations and visions. He says they are blessed for humbling themselves because of the word. He says they are blessed for believing in the word of God by faith and not by knowledge. I like that scripture a lot. It makes sense to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment