Pages

Sunday, December 30, 2018

Why was seeing the destruction of his people such a huge affliction for Nephi? 1 Nephi 15:5

Why was seeing the destruction of his people such a huge affliction for Nephi? 1 Nephi 15:5

Nephi is really depressed after his vision because it includes seeing his great great great great great x grandchildren die out.

I've never experienced that. But I find it really hard to imagine caring so vividly and intently about my great x grandchildren.

However, I would of course care about my grandchildren. If I saw all of my grandchildren brutally murdered in the Holocaust, I could understand how that would be horrifying. Basically, Moroni 9 is the story of a Holocaust which occurred on the American continent. A Jewish-turned-Christian people was brutally murdered in ways that I do not want to repeat because they're so scary and horrifying until they were completely exterminated.

I guess the main difference between my grandchildren and my great great great great great great great great great x grandchildren is this one thing: whether or not I will get to see them and know them.

Nephi got to see them. So it makes sense that seeing their destruction would really suck, enough for him to describe it this way: "I considered that mine afflictions were great above all."

Answer:
Nephi really loved his family. It is horrible to see the people you love tortured and murdered. It is even more horrible to know that their destruction was due to their own wickedness.

No comments:

Post a Comment