Pages

Sunday, February 3, 2019

How often did Nephi see angels? 2 Nephi 32:3

How often did Nephi see angels? 2 Nephi 32:3

1 Nephi 3 - an angel came when Nephi's brothers were smiting him and Sam with a rod.
1 Nephi 11-14 - during his vision of the tree of life

It seems like a lot of the other references to angels through 1 and 2 Nephi are to these two instances. There are 44 references to angels in 1 Nephi and 7 in 2 Nephi, and some of them are about Lehi's experiences with angels.

Answer:
At least twice, and the second time might have been in a dream/vision.

What is interesting to me is that I never really connected before how important his angelic experiences were to Nephi.

If I had experienced seeing an angel, I imagine (and certainly hope!) it would be really important to me, too! It seems that faith in God doesn't depend on physical senses, though. There are plenty of examples of people in the scriptures who saw angels but failed to have faith.

I personally believe that angels can and sometimes do visit people today. Why wouldn't they? They did in the past. I also believe it's really rare and will almost definitely never happen to me, which is kind of sad.

However, I take a lot of comfort in the promise that those who believe the word of God without seeing signs (or angels) are blessed. (Alma 32:16)

I know that my belief in Jesus Christ's healing and strengthening power consistently brings me joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment