Pages

Sunday, February 10, 2019

Is the allegory of the olive tree more literal than I thought? Jacob 5

Is the allegory of the olive tree more literal than I thought? Jacob 5

I've thought about the allegory of the olive tree a lot. Here are some of my thoughts from over a decade ago when I was living in Irbid, Jordan:
I read Jacob 5 recently. It is a chapter in the Book of Mormon that is a parable for the gathering of the house of Israel. In this parable, the gardener and his servant work hard to try to make the most fruit grow. They end up taking branches of the tame tree and grafting it with the wild tree, and vice versa, and they are successful for a long time, but then all of the fruit starts to go bad. So they are trying to restore the tame branches to the tame tree, and the wild branches to the wild tree. Verses 65 and 66 really stood out to me:
 65 And as they begin to grow ye shall aclear away the branches which bring forth bitter fruit, according to the strength of the good and the size thereof; and ye shall not clear away the bad thereof all at once, lest the roots thereof should be too strong for the graft, and the graft thereof shall perish, and I lose the trees of my vineyard.
 66 For it grieveth me that I should lose the trees of my vineyard; wherefore ye shall clear away the bad according as the good shall grow, that the root and the top may be equal in strength, until the good shall overcome the bad, and the bad be hewn down and cast into the fire, that they cumber not the ground of my vineyard; and thus will I sweep away the bad out of my vineyard.
 Just like the gardener didn't want to graft the branches too fast, or "all at once", the gospel cannot be preached to all of the world all at once.
I believe that the Lord has a plan for the gospel to be preached in the Arab world, to the Muslims. It is not now, but the time will come. During the Youth Conference, President Doug prophesied of a day when there will not be a building big enough to fit all of the members in Jordan.
What this blog post doesn't share are all my crazy thoughts about how the wall in the allegory could represent a continent, etc. etc. I think I must have heard that from somewhere, probably some overenthusiastic EFY speaker or something.

Answer:
Ask me again after the sealed portion is available to read and I'll have a better answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment