Pages

Sunday, January 6, 2019

If I "pray oft" will the Lord show great things unto me? 1 Nephi 18:3

If I "pray oft" will the Lord show great things unto me? 1 Nephi 18:3

Nephi says that he went to the "mount" oft[en], and prayed oft[en] unto the Lord, which is why the Lord showed him many great things.

My question is, if I do the same thing, then will I get the same results?

I think it is probably important to include the stuff Nephi does besides just praying. When it says he goes to the mountain, what I understand that this to mean the best substitute that Nephi had for going to the temple. We know that Moses received the detailed instructions for how to construct the tabernacle (the traveling temple) while he was on mount Sinai. 

Throughout the Old Testament and the Book of Mormon, mountains are a symbol of a sacred place where the Lord teaches and reveals things to prophets. Here are some prophets who communed with God on a mountain: Nephi, Moses, the brother of Jared, Jesus Christ, etc. It's symbolism laced throughout the Psalms and Isaiah. 

There's nary a mountain in sight where I live.

Aaaaand the temple is a logistical puzzle with five kids (one who is breastfeeding) and a 2 1/2 hour drive each way. Yet, we have easy access to a temple compared to many millions of people, so I will not complain.

Back to the question. President Nelson answered this pretty clearly in his very first general conference address as the president of the church in April 2018. 

Answer: YES. 

The prophet also pleaded with us to increase our spiritual capacity to receive revelation by doing the spiritual work required to enjoy the gift of the Holy Ghost and hear the voice of the Spirit more frequently and more clearly. 
I urge you to stretch beyond your current spiritual ability to receive personal revelation, for the Lord has promised that “if thou shalt [seek], thou shalt receive revelation upon revelation, knowledge upon knowledge, that thou mayest know the mysteries and peaceable things—that which bringeth joy, that which bringeth life eternal.”
Oh, there is so much more that your Father in Heaven wants you to know. As Elder Neal A. Maxwell taught, “To those who have eyes to see and ears to hear, it is clear that the Father and the Son are giving away the secrets of the universe!”
Nothing opens the heavens quite like the combination of increased purity, exact obedience, earnest seeking, daily feasting on the words of Christ in the Book of Mormon, and regular time committed to temple and family history work.
Qualifying to go to the temple, or in Nephi's case a mountain top (which might be even more beautiful and majestic than any other man-made place anyway), requires maintaining a temple recommend. This is not really something that can be done passively. It is daily living and walking by faith. I like that President Nelson also pointed out that we should be feasting on the words of Christ daily, especially the words in the Book of Mormon.

I think when I wrote this question, I was kind of thinking more along the lines of skepticism that I will ever get the opportunity to see a vision like what Nephi saw. But why not. If I do my part and earnestly seek, someday (maybe not someday very soon, but someday) I might get to see those things, too. I believe that "eternal progression" means a journey towards fulfilling this sincere desire I have within my soul to literally know everything that is knowable. Gotta start somewhere, and that place is righteous living including prayer and regular temple attendance.

No comments:

Post a Comment