Pages

Tuesday, January 22, 2019

Is Jesus Christ the "God of my Salvation"? 2 Nephi 9:44

Is Jesus Christ the "God of my Salvation"? 2 Nephi 9:44

Jacob is pleading with his children and future readers of the Book of Mormon to remember his words.

First he uses a really weird metaphor that I don't understand: "I take off my garments and I shake them before you." From a Latter-day Saint perspective, that sounds a lot like taking off the physical representations of his covenant to obey and follow God. I don't get why he would do that, but maybe it's like what a person might do if he is reading a good book and wants to really emphasize and point out how good it is - he might take the book, show it to someone in their face, and point at a specific passage which he cares about. That might be what Jacob is doing here, except with clothing that symbolizes covenants with God?

Then he says, "I pray the God of my salvation that he view me with his all-searching eye." This is a bit clearer in Czech: "modlím se k Bohu spasení svého, aby na mne pohlédl všepronikajícím okem svým."

Clearly he is praying TO God.

This is probably what caught my eye. Is he praying to Heavenly Father or Jesus Christ?

Answer: I think I have already talked at length about this in the past several weeks. It's the idea that God is three separate, distinct personages that work together so unitedly that it doesn't often matter (and it isn't often possible) to disambiguate them from one another. God the Father in a way could be considered the God of my Salvation - without the design of the plan, there'd be no salvation. Jesus Christ is the executor of the Atonement, so obviously he could be considered the God of my Salvation. The Holy Ghost is the way that we can know any of it, so without him we couldn't be saved either.

Basically: yes, but probably not exclusively.

I believe that Heavenly Father knows our thoughts and our hearts - even better than we ourselves know them. It is interesting to me that Jacob seems to want him to know them. Sometimes (okay, quite often) I feel like hiding them, because of shame or whatever other bad feeling. I have to constantly remind myself that they aren't really hidden - not fully, not ever. It is comforting but also super disturbing. It makes me highly grateful that I have the chance to purge myself from them each week when I take the sacrament and renew my baptismal covenant. What a relief that I can become clean again. The weight of having to worry about my thoughts is pretty heavy. I can turn them over to God and feel much better.

It would probably be agony to not be able to experience this. I don't really know. I haven't.

No comments:

Post a Comment