Pages

Sunday, January 13, 2019

Who were Nephi's sisters? 2 Nephi 5:6

Who were Nephi's sisters? 2 Nephi 5:6

Answer:

Well, now that I've thought about this a little, I wonder if perhaps Nephi might be referring to his sisters-in-law in this verse?

We know there were at least two (because of the plural). They are only mentioned this one time after the family arrived in the Americas as being righteous followers of Nephi when the family separated into two groups upon arrival in the promised land.

New question:

Is the ancient Jewish concept of "sister" inclusive of "sisters-in-law"?

Guess: Maybe?

Languages very frequently differ in words for specific extended family relationships. Arabic, which is also a Semitic language, has eight ways to say "cousin" (son of my paternal aunt, daughter of my maternal uncle...etc.) I'm pretty sure Chinese has different words for "eldest son" and "youngest son" even.

To be researched more.

No comments:

Post a Comment