Pages

Sunday, June 23, 2019

Does this mean we should be passionless? Alma 7:23

Does this mean we should be passionless? Alma 7:23
Alma continues his sermon to the people in Gideon.
23 And now I would that ye should be humble, and be submissive and gentle; easy to be entreated; full of patience and long-suffering; being temperate in all things; being diligent in keeping the commandments of God at all times; asking for whatsoever things ye stand in need, both spiritual and temporal; always returning thanks unto God for whatsoever things ye do receive.
Here are some synonyms for passionate:

ardent
dramatic
eager
eloquent
emotional
expressive
fervent
fierce
fiery
forceful
heartfelt
impassioned
intense
poignant
spirited
strong
vehement
violent
zealous

Here are some of the antonyms for passionate:
apathetic
calm
cold
cool
dispassionate
dispirited
dull
feeble
gentle
impassive
indifferent
lethargic
meek
mild
moderate
passive
peaceful
unconcerned
unenthusiastic
unexcited
weak

I noticed that neither humble nor submissive show up as antonyms to passionate on my list.

Anybody who knows me knows that I am a passionate person. I have red hair for a reason. Or something like that. Most deflating insult I ever received, and one I probably play too often in my head: "You overwhelm me with your enthusiasm." I wish they had said, "infect" - then it would have been a compliment.

I do think that I struggle in some ways to be humble, submissive, and gentle, and that it probably does have something to with my very enthusiastic nature. But honestly, I think that being humble, submissive, and gentle is just difficult for most people, and that my personal struggles with it just look different than others'. I am pretty quick to admit my faults and try to change, for example, which is something that other people might not do very well.

I am also not interested in being a fence-sitter. It's unappealing to me to the nth degree to be apathetic - about anything. Note that there's a difference between not having a strong opinion and not having any opinion at all; I want to have opinions simply because I really want to know everything that is good to know. I am positive that there are people out there who don't share this opinion, and when they're faced with a choice would rather allow themselves the illusion of not making one, allowing life to throw stuff at them, and thus avoid picking. But the act of so doing is itself a choice, right?

ANSWER:

I must have been in a really critical mood when I asked this question; it doesn't seem like Alma is talking at all about giving up our passions and zest for life here. He's actually just saying that we should tame our wild, willful tempers and hearts and submit our will to God's - which itself is something that can be done passionately. He also tells us to involve God in our daily lives by praying to him for all the things (spiritual and physical) that we need, and also by acknowledging his hand in giving us all the things (spiritual and physical) that we receive. That, too, is an act that can be done passionately.


No comments:

Post a Comment