Pages

Sunday, June 23, 2019

What does it mean to "sit down w/ Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob"? Does this include female prophetesses? Alma 7:25

What does it mean to "sit down w/ Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob"? Does this include female prophetesses? Alma 7:25

Alma continues his long sermon to the people of Gideon. He ends it by invoking a blessing of God upon the people, praying that they will someday be able to rest in the kingdom of God with all the holy prophets who ever were because you'll have repented and will have continued through a lifetime of repenting, just like them.

ANSWER:

I read "sitting down" in this verse to imply two things: resting, and ruling.

If you sitting, you aren't standing. Sitting is more restful.

I don't really envision park benches, either. I see this as a loose metaphor for a throne. To me, it's Alma hoping that someday we will make it back to God and have the chance to be like him.

I see absolutely no reason whatsoever to see why sitting down with "all" the holy prophets would not include female prophetesses. It's annoying that only the men are named.

I don't know how things like gender equity will work in the Celestial Kingdom, but I am certain women will be there and that we will be happy. I have a lot more to say on this topic but it's probably not appropriate for this particular online space. Suffice it to say, I'm sure equality for women in heaven is not really worth worrying about; better to worry about that here and now.

No comments:

Post a Comment