Pages

Thursday, November 7, 2019

Can you use corpus linguistics to search the scriptures?! Why not!?

Can you use corpus linguistics to search the scriptures?! Why not!?

At some point last year I asked myself this question.

I ended up boldly asking this to Mark Davies, who is one of the most influential people in the entire field of corpus linguistics, having essentially created and developed the idea of massive corpora. He is a professor at my alma mater, BYU. I've heard he will be retiring soon, though.

I had no idea how bold and brazen my email would sound.

He replied to me with some resources for people who have already created tools to do just that. At some future date I would like to compile an annotated list. He was patient with my ignorant question.

Answer:
Resounding, definite, complete and total yes.

No comments:

Post a Comment