Pages

Tuesday, November 12, 2019

Why is believing important? Alma 32:18

Why is believing important? Alma 32:18

Alma is preaching to the poor people who were rejected by the Zoramites. They were humbled because of their poverty, which made them more receptive to listen to the gospel message.

Alma tells them, "Lots of people say that if God will send them a sign, then they will know, and also believe. But this is not faith! If you know something, you have no need to believe it."

My question is why is believing important? What is the purpose of belief? What is significant about it?

Answer:
I am not fully sure, but what makes sense to me is that belief is tied up in the concept of agency. We are given the opportunity to choose for ourselves. If the facts are all clear, there isn't much choice other than, "Yes, I accept what is true," and, "I am going to say that what's true is false and what's false is true." I think that God wants us to exercise our agency beyond that. He wants us to try to discover for ourselves, and decide, what feels right. What we want. Whether or not we will be willing to trust him for answers. 

I hope that I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment