Pages

Tuesday, November 12, 2019

Is this something I can experience? Alma 27:18

Is this something I can experience? Alma 27:18

Ammon and his brothers meet Alma and is so happy that he was "swallowed up in the joy of his God, even to the exhausting of his strength; and he fell again to the earth." 

Mormon comments, "Isn't this a great example of exceedingly great joy? This is the kind of joy that nobody can have except the truly penitent (repentant) and humble seeker of happiness." 

I've recently been reading some stuff about happiness. It's actually an entire field of research, if you can believe that. 

I certainly do not think Mormon is talking about chasing after happiness when he says "seeker of happiness." We know that chasing happiness actually does not work. The more telling words are penitent and humble. 

Answer:
Yes, I think that it's possible for me to have this kind of joy. Being penitent and humble are key components of it. I think the "seeker" part mostly points towards being genuine and honest. That is also something that I can be. 

No comments:

Post a Comment