Pages

Monday, November 11, 2019

Did Ammon teach Aaron the strategy of asking to be a servant? Alma 22:2

Did Ammon teach Aaron the strategy of asking to be a servant? Alma 22:2

Aaron and his brothers are rescued out of prison by Ammon, who has a friend in a very high place (King Lamoni). One of the first things they do is to go find King Lamoni's father, who is strangely never mentioned by name in the Book of Mormon. 

Aaron tells the king, "Hey! We are the brother of Ammon, remember that guy who you saved from prison? If you will spare us, we will be your servants."

"Um, well...please, please stand. I'm so not going to make you be my servants. Instead, can you please teach to me? I've been really worried and concerned about the generosity and importance of the words of Ammon, and I've been waiting this whole time for him to come back to teach me, and he hasn't come yet...I really want to know why he's not here!"

I can just imagine Ammon with Aaron and his brothers in some kind of missionary correlation meeting. "Okay, so the door approach that seems to work well in this culture is to go in with an attitude of complete humility and submission. Offer to be his servant - that worked really well for me in the past. It did involve severing some arms from some people, but I think you can handle it." Ha. Ha. Eugh.

Answer:
Yes, I strongly believe that Ammon likely discussed workable missionary approaches with Aaron and his brothers. In the end, what is most important is to follow the spirit. The thing is, the spirit doesn't always tell you exactly every single step of how to follow through on a prompting. It's good to meet together and discuss strategies for getting stuff done. If it had been a bad idea, God would have warned them.

No comments:

Post a Comment